Please note this product is a course extension. You may purchase this extension only if a previous purchase of this course has been made. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for information.
This course is an introduction to the ASME Y14.5M-2009 standard. A one-year access user name and password is given to an individual at the time of your first log in through our website www.GDandT.com. The course is divided into 15 chapters with quizzes after each. The student may access the course anytime during the access period via the internet.
- Introduce the concepts and some of the language of the Y14.5M standard.
- Enable participants to understand each of the Y14.5M standard’s symbols.
- Bring participants to a fundamental understanding of Datum Reference Frames.
- Understand the definitions and the effects of Material Condition Modifiers.
- Begin to prepare the participants for the ASME GDTP certification exams.
Your drawings have GD&T on them (or maybe they are supposed to)! If you have been attempting to work with GD&T, and you lack the confidence to specify or are having trouble interpreting the specifications, this course is for you. Using GD&T improperly can be worse than not using it at all! This program is a complete introduction to the Y14.5M-2009 standard. In this program we will focus on the “what, when, why and how” of GD&T. The main goal is to bring all participants to a common, basic and operational level of understanding. The course is a thorough introduction to those with a little to a moderate level of experience with GD&T, but you will not be an expert. Complete GD&T training requires more than just a few days
The program begins with a bit of the history of GD&T, then we look at the cost of designing and manufacturing a part. We will compare the “old” methods of dimensioning and Tolerancing to the Y14.5M approach. In this analysis, we will demonstrate the strengths and advantages of GD&T as a design tool, as a manufacturing aid, as a purchasing (estimator) aid, and as an overall communications facilitating tool. We incorporate many practical exercises to enhance learning, and to increase confidence. The subject matter covered is (as a minimum):
- Introduction – Objectives, review of the “old” system versus GD&T
- General rules of dimensioning and drafting per the standard.
- Tolerance Zones – definition, concepts, comparison to existing systems.
- GD&T symbology and definitions of controls – particular emphasis on position tolerancing
- “Bonus” Tolerance – definition and how to take advantage of them
- Datum Reference Frames – definition and proper construction and selection
Who Should Attend
This program is designed for anyone who designs, drafts, engineers, purchases, manufactures, estimates, or inspects parts and assemblies. Particular emphasis is placed on those who design and manufacture, and those responsible for quality.
A working understanding of technical drawings (perspectives, sections, details, etc.). GD&T Overview and Print Reading suggested.
Our instructors are available for questions anytime by e-mail or during business hours by phone. You may contact us at info10@GDandT.com and your questions will be forwarded to an available instructor.